You are here
Job Title: UK Technical Manager
Division: Proclad (UK) Group
Hours of Work: Full-time: Monday to Thursday 8am-4.30pm, Friday 8am–1pm (some flexibility required)
Salary & Benefits: £DOE - Please state salary expectation when applying – excellent benefits package.
FTV Proclad International Limited is a worldwide market and technological leader in the protective weld cladding of pipeline components covering Oil & Gas, UK Ministry of Defense and Renewables. The company is part of a larger Group whose head office is based in Dubai and is one of the largest CRA providers worldwide.
We are pleased to announce that due to the growing order book success the company has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Technical Manager to join our team. The UK Technical Manager is designated as the technical authority for the Proclad UK companies (FTV Proclad International Limited and Proclad Induction Bending Limited) covering a range of subsea and MOD products including precision machined and welded components, fittings, weld overlay pipes and hot induction bends as well as fabricated structures and components.
The role would suit a motivated and enthusiastic technical manager seeking work in a fast-paced environment, the candidate will have excellent technical experience and communication skills, who is well-organised with an eye for detail.
A market competitive wage will be offered depending on experience/qualifications. Benefits of employment include 33 days holiday per year on a pro-rata basis (including public holidays), an employer pension contribution, private health care benefits, and life insurance.
Key Duties and responsibilities
- The role requires the candidate to plan, develop and implement technical and quality departmental policies and goals in line with company business plan and group objectives.
- Regular review of technical and quality activities to determine progress and status in attaining objectives.
- Ensure current accreditations are maintained, revise objectives and plans and take necessary corrective action with the agreement of the UK Managing Director.
- Responsible for setting staff objectives in accordance with the business needs/priorities.
- Develop lean and efficient manufacturing processes, coordinate promotion of these processes to develop new markets, increase share of market and improve competitive position in industry.
- Deliver technical presentations on behalf of Proclad to both internal personnel and clients.
- Management of department budget in line with business plan objectives.
- Provide technical support in the preparation of customer quotations and negotiation of tender and contract terms, primarily lead the technical review process at the bid stage to ensure techincal requirements from various applicable codes and standards are met.
- Meet regularly with the FTV Proclad Management team to review customer problems and in-house process concerns to resolve any problems.
- Lead quality investigations as part of RCCA process by management of quality meeting, generation of disposition, corrective actions and preventative measures on product quality issues.
- Attend monthly operations meetings, prepare and present monthly report. The monthly report will provide updates on the technical projects.
- Promote the company in industry, manufacturing, and trade organisations.
- Manage allocated research and product development projects to a successful conclusion within the agreed schedule and budget.
- Assist with the development of new and existing equipment.
- Maintain commitment to the company vision and the “spirit” of the organisation.
- Communicate clearly and directly with employees on performance expectations and responsibility through the company appraisal system.
- Take responsibility for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the technical and quality departments within all Proclad UK business units. Carry out management responsibilities in accordance with the Company policies (as defined in the company handbook) and applicable laws.
- Provide engineering and metallurgical support to all Proclad UK business units.
- Ensure the governance and maintenance of technical information retained for FTV Proclad International and Proclad Induction Bending.
- Lead the technical committee forum meetings where required aimed at solving technical and engineering challenges.
- Manage and maintain the engineering design drawing demand requirements utilizing CAD models and engineering calculations.
- Other duties may be assigned depending on the needs of the business.
Education and Experience
- The Technical Manager should be educated to a degree level in an engineering discipline. Extensive commercial and technical experience within the oil and gas sector with particular emphasis on pipelines, materials for corrosion resistance and metallurgy.
- A ‘hands-on’ knowledge of welding and machining processes and materials and their relative merits is essential.
- Ideally, the candidate will be able to demonstrate that they have the required practical knowledge and skills required by a Technical Manager. Experience in customer management at all levels in a business is required.
- Ability to effectively present technical information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
One of the following qualifications would be necessary.
- European Welding Engineer (EWE) or MSc in Welding Engineering
- Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Chartered Engineer (CEng)
- Metallurgy Degree or Mechanical Engineering Degree
Candidates may have the following, but not essential.
- Previous experience in the Oil & Gas sector is desirable but not essential.
- Management of Engineering department in a subcontract environment.
- Metallurgical experience in a range of materials i.e., carbon steel, low alloy steel and CRA materials.
- Knowledge of mechanical, chemical and corrosion testing.
- Knowledge or a willingness to learn the induction bending process.
- In-depth understanding of international codes and standards.
- Understanding of fittings & flanges manufacturing techniques and standards.
- Experience in preparing and presenting technical papers.
- Failure investigation experience.
- Excellent communication skills both orally and presentational.
- Able to interface at all levels within the business.
- Strong personality, highly assertive, well organised.
- Self-motivated and analytical with reasoned, well balanced and calculated decision-making qualities.
- Ability to mentor, manage and develop staff within the department.
- Commercial awareness and judgement.
- Networking and relationship building skills.
- Managerial \ Leadership experience.
- Strong customer management experience.
If you wish to apply for this position or know someone who would, please send your CV and any other additional information to HR via email to email@example.com.
Due to the high volume of applicants, we may not be able to contact every applicant to advise that they have been unsuccessful. If you have not been contacted within four weeks of your application, you may assume that you have not been shortlisted for this role.
Your data within your CV will be dealt with in accordance with our Recruitment Privacy Notice.
The company will not support the sponsorship of any applicant for a UK Tier II visa. If you do not have the right to work in the UK, you should not apply for this role.
This is a direct applicant role, Recruitment Agencies need not contact us regarding this role.